This is my life. It can be odd. But I like it.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Bloggety Blog Blog

I had a very bad scare today. I thought Nani died. As you well know Nani is my new iPod Nano. Generally myself and electronics don't always mix. Thankfully Apple takes that into account and makes things really, really easy to work with. Until you add a PC into the picture. Which is very much in the picture because our computer is some sort of crazy PC Hybred put together in the dark confines of my dad's head office.

Because I have Nani, I also need to have iTunes. Because I have iTunes I think the PC part of the computer gets really jealous and decideds to freeze up at random times. Well... maybe not so random. I have learned never to have another program open when running iTunes or else in a few minutes to a half hour everything locks up and whatever you were working on gets eaten. That is the price to pay for a jealous PC.

This afternoon I connected Nani and saw that updates were available for both iTunes and the iPod. Yay!! So a downloading I go. But there is a distinct problem. In order to download the updates I need to have the internet browser open. In order to start the computer searching for downloads I have to have iTunes open. Gasp!! It's the forbidden two program rule.

Of course it has been a while and I thought maybe the PC has given up on it's bitterness and unforgiveness and made peace with the other software. I was wrong. About half way through the install process everything locks up and I am forced to restart the computer.

This is usually simply a minor annoyance. Usually. But this time Nani was hooked up to the life force of the PC. I have Nani set so that I have to manually tell the computer to disconnect the iPod before I unhook it. There are warnings EVERYWHERE never to disconnect the iPod until I have formally requested permission of the PC to release it.

I had not yet done this so the PC jumped at the chance to commit a murder/suicide of Nani and itself.

I freaked out and did what I my only choice was. Give into the PC's demands and I hit the restart button. The computer restarted. So did iTunes. So I started the process again. Guess what frozen instantaneously? Yep. iTunes. The PC was being very spiteful today.

I was able to save the computer before it jumped into oblivion again. So I was sneaky, opened iTunes, popped in Nani, got the updater started and quickly shut iTunes down. I thought this would work. Only then I started getting messages that both the iTunes, Quicktime and iPod software was all broken and that I had to re-load everything.

Near panic was setting in.

Thankfully each of those programs all had updates ready to be downloaded so all I had to do was click a button. I don't know what I would have done otherwise. Probably went into a rage.

I am glad to tell you that the 3rd time was a charm. No locking programs, no having to restart the computer and the updates thankfully reloaded the entire program structre and I was once again off to the races. I even successfully downloaded a podcast.

Currently I feel like a computer wiz, but that is probably being heavily influenced by the fact that Apple makes things so easy that I just need to click one button and everything works out just fine. Just don't tell the PC. As we have all seen, it gets rather jealous and simple reasoning leaves it's cognitive regions.

In other news Peter is off to see Coldplay in Vancouver this weekend and I am jealous. I fell in love with Vancouver last year and I want to go back. And I fell in love with Coldplay a long time ago so it would be simply fantastic to see them.

Since Peter is going to Vancouver I thought I would compete by going to Red Deer. Ahhh yes. The windy city of Red Deer. Strangely enough I love that place so much. It could be because of the people who live in the city. I love them so much. I can't wait....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter